Saturday, November 21, 2009

WAM participating artist Nicole Payne


"My process is very much about imagination and creativity, as far as the convergence and juxtaposition of ideas. My mind is like one of those lottery ball tumblers; I have ideas bouncing around constantly, coming together at random. I appreciate art that reflects reality but I enjoy making art that expresses my imagination.

My medium varies and I like to combine mediums within pieces. I use charcoal, pencil, pen and ink, Sharpie, crayons, colored pencil, watercolor, acrylic, markers, tea, coffee and what ever else I can turn into a usable medium. I also incorporate many different kinds of papers and patterns. I use everything from pages of phone books to aluminum foil to cereal boxes.

My work definitely reflects the scattered, fantastical, curious innards of my brain. My work allows me to communicate with people in ways I couldn't do otherwise. To be able to have the gift of creating a visual of the things that exist in your mind is amazing and I love sharing that with others. I often daydream about a world where blindness was nonexistent and people are voiceless, so the only way to communicate is through drawing and taking pictures. That just gave me an idea for a piece...the process is at work presently!"

- Nicole Payne

No comments:

Post a Comment